Edinburgh

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Edinburgh

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:01 pm

The Grange is very nice. As well it bloody might be at those prices.

Robert Louis Stevenson hated all the (then new) villas, and wished the rest of the city would rise up one night and commit arson on them...
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:24 pm

A couple from before Christmas, up the Scott Monument in a freezing wind...

The big wheel, with a passenger likely pondering how fragile it looks:

The Dundas memorial in St Andrew Square, looking a bit lost amongst later construction:

And some balloon seller's stock making a bid for freedom:

Christmas is now over though so, for no particular reason, here's a big chimney next to a New Town house:
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Boxer6 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:54 am

Went here last night, with Herself and daughter.

Very impressed - nice ambience, well presented, flavoursome food and quality service. A wee bit pricey perhaps, but not too bad, definitely go there again.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:14 am

I shall bear that place in mind, being rather partial to what little Thai food I've had.

The Edinburgh commentariat (© any number of awful reactionary journalists and politicians) aren't the most sophisticated, but they seem to get to the point:

Unrelated, the one remaining bit of the once-huge British Rubber Company works at Fountainbridge, taken over by Scottish & Newcastle as part of an even huger brewery, now itself gone:

Potterrow continues on its journey towards having every available square inch of surface covered in spray paint:

And has a nice piece of 1980s revivalism:

More bonny, Victoria Terrace remains as bonny as a very bonny thing:

And I think this thing is brilliant, being a late 1990s/early 2000s (I think) update of tenement platform access, just behind the Canongate:
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:34 pm

Nothing much happening here, though it all remains very Edinburgh-ish:

Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:10 pm

The light on this one is superb. Looks like a shot from the 50's.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:26 pm

It is a bit 50s in't it, HH? Urban photies were more atmospheric before the Clean Air Act. With reduced visibility in mind, here's a photo of Edinburgh Castle from today:

(It's honestly in there somewhere.)
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:52 pm

Same day, different places. The haar loves Edinburgh, and Edinburgh loves the haar:

Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:25 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Image

HollowHorn wrote:The light on this one is superb. Looks like a shot from the 50's.

That one too

(and the bell)
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Cheers, not that I supplied the light. Shame about the lamp, I guess.

Here's ex-Avalanche the other week (with traces of something older that I can't quite make out), being precariously done up in preparation for (I fear) another tartan shop:

Christmas greetings from quite some time ago, by the looks of it:

Some actual sunshine on the actual High Street:

And a sad one for me - a leftover on George IV Bridge from my favourite tobacconist; now a Mediterranean snack bar, dammit:
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Cheers, not that I supplied the light. Shame about the lamp, I guess.

Here's ex-Avalanche the other week (with traces of something older that I can't quite make out), being precariously done up in preparation for (I fear) another tartan shop:

Back in the very late 70s that shop was Mr Natural. Prior to that I think it had been an early Pie in the Sky, which was in someway involved with the Cockburn Street Market people.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks for that, Egg Man; I had no idea Pie in the Sky might have once lived there.

There's a photo I though I had from a few decades before that, but it's gone walkabouts. I do know the building used to house Young's Hotel way back, but the writing doesn't fit that; plus I imagine it was likely always a separate shop. "****YNE'S something or other", it seems to say, so who knows.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm pleased to report that it hasn't become another awful tartan shop, but quite a nice looking Indian eatery.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:57 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Thanks for that, Egg Man; I had no idea Pie in the Sky might have once lived there.

There's a photo I though I had from a few decades before that, but it's gone walkabouts. I do know the building used to house Young's Hotel way back, but the writing doesn't fit that; plus I imagine it was likely always a separate shop. "****YNE'S something or other", it seems to say, so who knows.

I'd been thinking about this and then forgot about it but I wonder if the location wasn't an early incarnation of Cheyne's hair stylists - now all over Edinburgh like a rash.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue May 01, 2012 7:54 pm

I do believe you probably have it there. Good thinking. (Well, I can't imagine what else it could be.)
Lucky Poet
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Around the World