Berlin

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Berlin

Postby Bridie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:13 am

Thanks to all who contributed to this great thread.

Berlin is like nowhere else - you now what I mean.
I lived in W Germany in the mid sixties for a short while, went to school with children who's families had fled E. Germany and I visited the wall in Berlin. It's fascinating to see the other side of the wall from these pics to what I imagined it would be like.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:48 am

Wonderful stuff.

Some Berlin news; Tacheles is to close, being a prime development site and all.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-0 ... mitte-site
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Charlotte » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:30 pm

This really is a great thread! The photos are amazing! I can't believe Tacheles is closing down :( I was there over a year ago protesting about its closure, but I guess it didn't work :cry:
Charlotte
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Toby Dammit » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Not surprising about Tacheles really. It had become surrounded by would be upmarket restaurants and chi-chi boutiques, while the building itself had become very touristy, all rather impressive to teenage French and Italians looking for something "cool", but lacking the authentic edge I'm sure it possesed in it's glory days after the Wall came down.

The building is an impressive semi-ruin however, a great shame it's become the victim of the gentrification it'll have generated in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong but now the alternative, arty, "David Bowie Low" type centre of Berlin seems to have shifted to Kreuzberg.
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Some unposted pics shot in July 2010.

Pergamon

The Koenigskolonnaden, Potsdamer Straße

East German Fountain outside Pension Reiter, Palisadenstraße

Berliner Kriminal Theater, Palisadenstraße

Now THAT'S a door. Hebbel Theater stage-door

Voßstraße

Wings over Karl Marx Allee

Underground entry hall for the ICC

Nighthawks at the diner

And finally, what is this spooky cat and rat sculpture for? I'm pretty sure its grafted onto a modern building on Friedrichstraße, but I can find no information about it.

travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:01 am

A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stilldontknow » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:54 pm

I love Berlin. First visited in 2006 and been four times since. Relaxed but endlessly interesting, can't get enough. :D

100_0205 by tommym2000, on Flickr

100_0470 by tommym2000, on Flickr

100_0566 by tommym2000, on Flickr

100_0635 by tommym2000, on Flickr

100_0748 by tommym2000, on Flickr
stilldontknow
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:12 pm

Berlin - can I go back soon? I'm a bit sad I probably won't be there this year. Anyway, last time I was there I ended up taking a trip over to Potsdam, which is at least on the Metro system even if it's obviously not Berlin as such. Close enough to belong in this thread though, I reckon.

The first bit I actually got round to taking a photo of could almost be in a 70s redevelopment anywhere in Scotland, in the form of a scabby old DDR-era library (belonging to the Uni, if I remember rightly):

Not far round the corner is this:

Which a helpful local told us had been a canal (um, until the Allies bombed the hell out of it):

There are plans afoot to restore at least a bit of it. There's a strangely pleasing shabbiness about some corners of the town: most of the centre has been beautifully restored, but then theres this kind of thing:

And a slightly down-at-heel side street. Take away the modern bikes and this could be any time in the last hundred years:

A wee bit further, a DDR-era theatre, currently awaiting some purpose:

Some of it is certainly not shabby though, like the other less well-known Brandenburg Gate:

And in Sanssouci, it gets over the top. Here are the terraces and steps seen and posed on in countless photos of Allied servicemen shortly after the 1945 surrender:

Fancy doesn't even begin to cover it:

In fact it's a bit silly:

Worth a visit though.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:21 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Berlin - can I go back soon? I'm a bit sad I probably won't be there this year.

No, no, no. We should just make it an annual HG event, much like the M74 (or whatever) walk used to be on the 2nd of January.

Gwan, gwan. You know you want to. :-)

The thing about Potsdam was.... you turned a corner and you were in Cambuslang Main Street. And then another one, and you most certainly weren't. Oddness defined.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Around the World