Edinburgh

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Edinburgh

Postby Dot » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:57 pm

That was sad about the fireman who lost his life in pub fire in Dalry Road.

I remember having a meal there once a very long time ago in an Indian Restaurant which was called The Verandah and they had pictures of Stephen Hendry and other people up on the walls.
Think a few well known people had eaten in it and had pics up.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:04 am

Dot wrote:That was sad about the fireman who lost his life in pub fire in Dalry Road.

It was indeed. I'm acquainted with an Edinburgh fireman, and it made me think if ye know what I mean. An unusual job.

Went for an aimless wander the other day. Here's possibly my favourite brightly painted door in the southside (aye, Edinburgh has one too. It's nice), sadly showing evidence of an attack by some anti-primary colours activists:

A tunnel! Being the Innocent Railway tunnel:

A lamp post, and a posh one at that:

Vertigo-inducing steps up the side of Arthur's Seat, at the bit known as the Guttit Haddie (don't ask):

From the Crags. I don't think the two bodies at the bottom of frame were dead, but you never know:

Weedkiller shortage:
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dot » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:27 pm

LP,

Lovely pictures and really like the one of the lamp post.

Had thought we would go and see the Parliament Building when we were over in July but it was such a bad
day with rain off and on so we didn't stay long.
In the end we had some lentil soup and rolls in a wee coffee shop after we had been up near the Castle. Went to Camera Obscura which we had seen before though there seems to be a bit more to it now.

Might have another visit next time we are in Glasgow.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shardonnay » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:45 pm

awesome pics L P :) Had a wonderful weekend here In Edinburgh. home now and knocking back the vino and showing my friend the joys of this site .
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:30 pm

I hope you have better luck with the weather next time, Dot. Go climb Arthur's Seat if you have the chance and the energy; the view's tremendous.

Shardonnay - I hope you managed to steer your friend around all the sweary and argumentative bits :)

I headed into town on Sunday there, and good grief. I don't know how I manage it, but I always forget how busy it gets during the Festival:

I made my escape down an obscure close shortly afterwards...

I always felt a bit rotten for hating the Festival crowds when I lived in Edinburgh (how dare you come here with your money to spend), but living down at Cameron Toll I learned to avoid the city centre for the whole of August, pretty much. I used to enjoy taking a wander up the High Street in the first of the shitey Autumn weather when all the part-timers had gone home - only a handful of people in sight, the drizzle making the cobbles shine, and seemingly the whole of history to yourself :D
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:29 pm

Excellent thread this, we really don't get enough of Edinburgh, high time for a wander.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:16 pm

Reputedly the first building of the New Town, being Thistle Court, just off Thistle Street. It would have sat on its own in farmland when it was built, pretty much. It looks out of place now, but was built in accordance to the feuing plan for Edinburgh's great aristocratic suburb (which was the whole point of the enterprise, originally.) It's a bit overshadowed now, but still survives from 1760-odd:
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby draugelis » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:01 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Reputedly the first building of the New Town, being Thistle Court, just off Thistle Street. It would have sat on its own in farmland when it was built, pretty much. It looks out of place now, but was built in accordance to the feuing plan for Edinburgh's great aristocratic suburb (which was the whole point of the enterprise, originally.) It's a bit overshadowed now, but still survives from 1760-odd:

You don't fool me LP! You've placed that jumped up Wendy Hoose in a vacant space in any average city gap site and called it, to all intents and purposes, Hidden Embra! :wink:
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:38 pm

Blast, found out! Do you know how awkward it was to get that damn thing there on the bus?
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:28 pm

The brief but illustrious life of the Great Bronze Goose of the Dene...

Ok, it was probably a swan, but a goose seemed more amusing somehow. This sculpture (statue?) appeared unannounced on a rock in the middle of the Water of Leith just upstream of St Bernard's Well in the summer of 2008:

I found myself growing fond of the thing, passing it most workdays on my way to fetch some unhealthy lunchtime snack from the fleshpots of ever so upmarket Stockbridge (Greggs). Many a smirk was had at the antics of some passers-by trying to sneak up on the thing, as if it was a real bird. That made it a piece of art in itself, to my eyes.

Its position in the middle of the often angry Water of Leith was always a concern:

Not so much the river itself as the debris it brought with it:

Still, it stood its ground. Then one morning in late October after another heavy rain, and much to my horror, it was gone:

When the river lowered the awful truth was laid bare:

I hope it died a natural death, being swept away in the flood, rather than being set about with a hacksaw by some tealeaf bastards. I miss my wee bronze goose yet :(
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby banjo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:52 pm

i getting really interested there,that was a smashing wee post and you are right i hope it was taken from its plinth by natural causes.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Excellent wee tale. :D
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:31 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Excellent wee tale. :D

seconded. the second pic is a cracker.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:55 am

I found myself being completely enthralled by that wee saga. Nice work. 8)
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shardonnay » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:16 am

Great pics and tale L P , must have a wee wander down that way soon .
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Around the World